STAGNER, TEXAS. Stagner is on Farm Road 14 six miles northwest of Hawkins in southeast Wood county. It was named for Alabama native John Stagner, who with his wife, Malinda, settled at the site around 1873. The settlement may have had a log schoolhouse as early as 1861, and by 1874 it had organized a church. A Stagner post office was granted in 1903. In 1905 a store was built and a local one-teacher school enrolled forty-nine children. The post office closed in 1907. By the 1930s Stagner consisted of a church and school, which in 1932 had an enrollment of thirty. Though in the 1960s Stagner was located in the Pine Mills oilfield, only a church remained to mark the community's location. By 1981, however, a few widely scattered dwellings had appeared in the vicinity.
W. Cleo Irons, The Reorganization of the Public Schools of Wood County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1935). Adele W. Vickery, A Transcript of Centennial Edition, 1850–1950, Wood County Democrat (Mineola, Texas, 1974). Wood County, 1850–1900 (Quitman, Texas: Wood County Historical Society, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "STAGNER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsbs), accessed May 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.