SALEM, TX [#2] (FREESTONE COUNTY)
SALEM, TEXAS [#2] (Freestone County). Salem is off Farm Road 489 three miles west of Dew in south central Freestone County. In 1893 twenty-five black students were enrolled in the community school. Salem also had the Salem Church and the Negro Masonic Lodge no. 29. In the 1930s a church, a cemetery, a school, and a number of dwellings were in the area, and in the 1960s the church, cemetery, and a few dwellings remained. By the late 1980s, however, only the church and cemetery marked the site on maps.
Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "SALEM, TX [#2] (FREESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrscd), accessed January 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.