ST. LOUIS, TX
ST. LOUIS, TEXAS. St. Louis is a residential community north of the intersection of State Highway 155 and Loop 323 and just southwest of Tyler in Smith County. Settlers had arrived in the area by 1880, when they built the St. Louis Elementary School, named for St. Louis, Missouri. During the 1880s a local company built a portion of the Kansas and Gulf Short Line Railroad just east of the area, making it easily accessible to settlers. By 1936 the St. Louis school employed two teachers and offered elementary-level classes to eighty-nine black children. That year the community included a business and a cluster of homes at the intersection of a dirt thoroughfare and a bituminous road. The school had been consolidated into the Tyler Independent School District by 1952. Though in 1966 St. Louis included the St. Louis School, two cemeteries, a church, and a sizeable residential district stretching southeastward from Walton Road past Noonday Road, by 1973 the community was considered part of Tyler and was no longer separately identified on maps. The 1981 county highway map identified the St. Louis Cemetery, but it had been absorbed into Tyler. The St. Louis Elementary School was still operating in 1983.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "ST. LOUIS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrscn), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.