SILONE, TEXAS. Silone, also known as Siloam, is north of the intersection of Farm Road 1252 and two unnamed light-duty roads three miles southeast of Starrville in northeast Smith County. It is bounded on the north by a branch of Rice Creek and was originally part of the Nimrod Doyle survey. There was no educational facility there in 1903, but by 1936 the New Siloam School had been constructed nearby and had two instructors for fifty-seven black elementary students. That year maps showed a church and a collection of dwellings along the highway and at the intersection of three dirt roads. By 1952 the school had been absorbed by the Winona Independent School District. Maps for 1966 showed a Siloam church and cemetery and a small number of scattered farms. In 1973 the community was identified as a church and cemetery. It still appeared on maps in 1981.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "SILONE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrscp), accessed September 15, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.