SHARON, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
SHARON, TEXAS (Smith County). Sharon, also known as Maggie Murph and as Murph, is on Everett Branch just north of State Highway 64 and two miles east of Chapel Hill in southeastern Smith County. It is located on the line between the Thomas P. Payne and Wiley J. Parckman surveys and was originally called Maggie Murph after the Maggie Murph School. The 1936 county highway map showed the Maggie Murph community with a school, a church, a cemetery, three businesses, and a cluster of farms along the highway and a dirt road. The school at that time offered grades one through nine and had four teachers and 138 white pupils; the seventy-nine black children of school age in the area were not enrolled. The East Texasqv oil boom reached Murph in the 1940s, and the extensive Chapel Hill oilfield soon surrounded the community. In 1941 voters elected to merge the Maggie Murph school with the Bascom district, and by 1952 it had been consolidated into the Chapel Hill Independent School District along with other local rural schools. A 1965 map did not designate Murph, but instead showed the community of Sharon at the site. In 1972 it consisted of Sharon Church and a few scattered farms. Sharon was still shown on the 1981 county highway map.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "SHARON, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrscs), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.