SHADY GROVE, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
SHADY GROVE, TEXAS (Smith County). Shady Grove is just south of the intersection of Farm Road 14 and Interstate 20 and three miles north of Tyler in central Smith County. Shamburger Lake is to the east and Hitts Lake is to the west. In 1936 the Shady Grove Elementary School had two teachers and seventy-eight black students, but by 1952 the school had been consolidated into the Pine Springs Independent School District, which later became part of the Tyler Independent School District. A 1966 map showed one business, the Shady Grove Church, and a few scattered farms at the town. A 1973 map also identified the Shady Grove Cemetery there. The community was still shown on the 1985 county highway map. The population was 250 in 2000.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "SHADY GROVE, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsct), accessed February 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.