SANDY, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)
SANDY, TEXAS (Limestone County). Sandy is on Farm Road 2310 five miles south of Coolidge in northern Limestone County. It was founded as a church community by former slaves in the early 1870s. In 1902 the Sandy Grove Primitive Baptist Church was meeting in a brush arbor, but residents soon built a more permanent structure. The school at Sandy, known as Oak Hill School, burned in 1920, and students were sent to a neighboring district. New church buildings were constructed in 1930 and in 1957. Sandy reported a population of five in 1988 through 2000.
Walter F. Cotton, History of Negroes of Limestone County from 1860 to 1939 (Mexia, Texas: Chatman and Merriwether, 1939). A Family History of Limestone County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SANDY, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsds), accessed September 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.