SMITH CHAPEL, TX
SMITH CHAPEL, TEXAS. Smith Chapel was a predominantly black community that grew up around a Methodist church two miles west of Mexia near U.S. Highway 84 in northeastern Limestone county. A church and several scattered houses appeared on county highway maps of the area in the 1940s, but no name labeled the community at that time.
Walter F. Cotton, History of Negroes of Limestone County from 1860 to 1939 (Mexia, Texas: Chatman and Merriwether, 1939).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SMITH CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsdt), accessed December 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.