SAND HILL, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)
SAND HILL, TEXAS (Hopkins County). Sand Hill (Sandhill), a farming community in northern Hopkins County fourteen miles northeast of Sulphur Springs and three miles east of Tira off Farm Road 1536, was settled before 1900. A public school was operating there by 1905, when it had an enrollment of about thirty. In 1928 the school was consolidated with that of Tira, but the building continued to be used for a time as a community center and church. In the mid-1930s Sand Hill had the former school building and a number of scattered houses. After World War II most of its residents moved away, and by the early 1960s all that remained was a few scattered houses. In the late 1980s Sand Hill was a dispersed rural community.
Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SAND HILL, TX (HOPKINS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsgy), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.