SHERIDAN, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)
SHERIDAN, TEXAS (Houston County). Sheridan was nine miles northwest of Grapeland in northwestern Houston County. The community was established in the mid-1880s, and a post office opened in 1888 with J. R. Sheridan as postmaster. At its height in the mid-1890s, the settlement had a general store, three gristmill and cotton gin combinations, and a number of houses. The post office closed in 1905, and by the mid-1930s Sheridan no longer appeared on highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SHERIDAN, TX (HOUSTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrskk), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.