SARDIS, TX (CHEROKEE COUNTY)
SARDIS, TEXAS (Cherokee County). Sardis was on Farm Road 1857 eight miles southwest of Rusk in southwestern Cherokee County. The site was settled before the Civil War by a small group from South Carolina. The community grew up around a small church and was known for many years as Sardis Church. A school was in operation by 1896, when it had an enrollment of forty-three. In the mid-1930s Sardis had two stores, a church, a school, and a number of houses. The school was consolidated with the Rusk schools in 1948, and by the early 1990s only a church and a few scattered houses remained.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SARDIS, TX (CHEROKEE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrslj), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.