SAUNDERS, TEXAS. Saunders, four miles southeast of Groveton in south central Trinity County, developed around a sawmill run by the Thompson and Tucker Lumber Company. The community had a post office from 1888 to 1889 and may have been named for a lumber company official. At its height in 1888 the settlement had an estimated population of 100. After the post office closed, the mail was sent to nearby Josserand. The Saunders community apparently continued to exist for several years thereafter, but by 1900 it was no longer shown on maps.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SAUNDERS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsnv), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.