SANDIES, TX (WHARTON COUNTY)
SANDIES, TEXAS (Wharton County). Sandies is just east of Farm Road 710 near Sandy Creek, sixteen miles northwest of El Campo in extreme northwestern Wharton County. In 1905 one local school had thirty-five black pupils and one teacher, and in 1926 it had thirty pupils and one teacher. In 1907 another local school had nineteen white pupils and two teachers. The Sandies schools were annexed to the Louise schools in 1937. State highway maps in 1936 showed a school, a church, and scattered dwellings at the townsite. In the 1980s the church remained.
Samuel Butler Graham and Ellen Newman, Galveston Community Book: A Historical and Biographical Record of Galveston and Galveston County (Galveston: Cawston, 1945). Annie Lee Williams, A History of Wharton County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "SANDIES, TX (WHARTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsnw), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.