SYRINGA, TEXAS. Syringa was a farming community off State Highway 155 nine miles northeast of Gilmer in northeastern Upshur County. It was settled sometime before 1900, when it had a general store, a sawmill, and a number of scattered houses. A post office operated there from 1901 to 1906. By the mid-1930s the settlement was no longer shown on highway maps. No population estimates were available.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SYRINGA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsrv), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.