SHADY GROVE, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
SHADY GROVE, TEXAS (Panola County). Shady Grove, a farming community on Farm Road 1186 ten miles northeast of Carthage in northeastern Panola County, developed around a Baptist church established before 1880. In 1907 the church was replaced by a new structure that remained in use until 1954. An intermediate school was established in 1912, and in 1913 it was reclassified as a two-year high school. In the mid-1930s the Shady Grove community included a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of houses. During the 1940s the school was consolidated with that of Carthage. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the mid-1960s a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained. In the early 1990s Shady Grove was a dispersed rural community.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin. John Barnette Sanders, Index to the Cemeteries of Panola County (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SHADY GROVE, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrstt), accessed September 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.