SHINGLE ARBOR, TX
SHINGLE ARBOR, TEXAS. Shingle Arbor, also known as Arbor, was between Kelm and Black Hills four miles south of the site of present-day Emhouse in north central Navarro County. The community grew up in the late 1880s or early 1890s around a large arbor where local residents held religious services in the summer. A. L. Gamble had a store and blacksmith shop, and an Arbor post office operated briefly in 1892. The settlement began to decline after 1900; many residents moved to nearby Emhouse, located on the railroad. By the mid-1930s Shingle Arbor no longer appeared on highway maps. In 1990 the site was marked only by a grove of old oak trees.
Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SHINGLE ARBOR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsuz), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.