SALEM, TX (BASTROP COUNTY)
SALEM, TEXAS (Bastrop County). Salem, two miles northwest of Jeddo in southern Bastrop County, had a one-teacher school for twenty-nine black students in 1881. In 1905 the students numbered fifty-five. The school became part of the Jeddo district when the county instituted a school district system in 1907. St. Philips Church and several houses marked Salem on maps of the county in the 1940s and 2000s, but no population estimates for the community were available.
William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SALEM, TX (BASTROP COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrsvy), accessed December 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.