SAND RIDGE, TX (WHARTON COUNTY)
SAND RIDGE, TEXAS (Wharton County). Sand Ridge is on Peach Creek, Farm Road 102, and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, ten miles north of Wharton in north central Wharton County. In 1905 the local school had fifty black pupils and one teacher. State highway maps in 1936 showed two churches, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings at the townsite. In the 1980s two cemeteries, the New Colorado Tabernacle and a neighboring church, a single building, and several dwellings remained. In 1992 the rail line was discontinued; the tracks, ties, and gravel rail bed were removed and the right-of-way sold or returned to the contingent landowners.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "SAND RIDGE, TX (WHARTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrswq), accessed April 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.