TADMOR, TEXAS. Tadmor (Tadmore) is on Farm Road 227 eighteen miles northeast of Crockett in northeastern Houston County. It was first settled in the 1830s and was named for the biblical Tadmor. A post office was established in 1885, and two schools, one black and one white, began operating there before 1900. By the mid-1890s Tadmor had two general stores, a cotton gin, and a reported population of twenty-five. Its post office closed in 1914, but the community continued to prosper in the 1920s. By the mid-1930s Tadmor had a church, two schools, several stores, and a number of houses. The schools were later closed, but in the mid-1960s a store, two churches, and a number of houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Tadmor was a dispersed rural community. It reported a population of sixty-seven in 2000.
Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979). Historical Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Eliza H. Bishop, "TADMOR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt01), accessed December 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.