Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

TAMA, TX

TAMA, TEXAS. Tama was fifteen miles south of Gatesville in south central Coryell County. It was bounded on the south by Cowhouse Creek, on the west by Browns Creek, and on the northeast by Henson Mountain and was named for Tama Alexander, daughter of Anzie P. Alexander, the first postmaster. The post office was opened in 1900; later postmasters were Thomas L. Beall, W. R. Carroll, and John Brashear. Mail service was discontinued in 1918 and rerouted through Gatesville. Tama had a gin, a general store, and a church. Maples School served the community. A volcanic pipe ran through one of the hills in nearby Egypt Hollow. In 1940 Tama's population was twenty-five. Fort Hood took in the townsite in 1942.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).

Sylvia Edwards

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Sylvia Edwards, "TAMA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt02), accessed July 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Texas AlmanacFor more information about towns and