TAMINA, TEXAS. Tamina is on the Missouri Pacific line a mile east of Interstate Highway 45 and 8½ miles south of Conroe in southern Montgomery County. In 1871 the Houston and Great Northern Railroad built through the area. A post office opened at the community in 1897, closed in 1905, and reopened that same year, only to close again sometime after 1935. James H. Berry, who promoted the town, named it after Tammany Hall, New York. Apparently, the letter writer submitting the name to the postal department had his own ideas about the spelling. Even today, the name is still pronounced "Tammany." By 1904 Tamina had a population of 128, which declined to 100 by 1915, when the town had a telephone connection, two general stores, and a grocery. By 1925 the population had declined again, to fifty. In 1948 Tamina had a station on the International and Great Northern, a church, two schools, two businesses, and some twelve scattered dwellings. Also in the 1940s, Tamina had a black school with one teacher for grades one through seven. In 1949 the school was dissolved, and the students were transferred to the Booker T. Washington school in Conroe. In the early 1980s Tamina consisted of numerous scattered dwellings, several businesses, the Tamina cemetery and Falvey Memorial Church (located a quarter mile east of town), and two other churches. Several other small towns and the subdivision of Shady Meadow were nearby.
Montgomery County Genealogical Society, Montgomery County History (Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1981). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Will Branch, "TAMINA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt03), accessed May 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.