THELMA, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)
THELMA, TEXAS (Limestone County). Thelma was at Farm roads 1633 and 1245, between the Navasota River and McKenzie Creek some six miles northwest of Groesbeck in central Limestone County. Henry Milligan moved to the region in 1893. The name Thelma was applied to a school that began in the area as a consolidation of three other schools. The Thelma school served students from Horn Hill, Willow Springs, and Central Institute. A post office operated at Thelma from 1899 to 1905. In 1910 the population of Thelma was ten; it grew to sixty by 1939, when three businesses were reported there. The 1936 county highway map shows a number of dwellings, several businesses, a church, and a school at the Thelma site. By 1960, though the Baptist Horn Hill Chapel was in use, no population estimates were available for the community. Its school was included in the consolidated district of Groesbeck by 1965. A 1970 map showed Thelma as near a cemetery, the Horn Quarry, and the Arnett gas field.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Holly Marshall, "THELMA, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt15), accessed March 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.