TOOMEY, TEXAS. Toomey, nine miles southwest of Center in southwestern Shelby County, was named for Parson Toomey. It received a post office in 1894 with Sam P. Haliburton as postmaster. The post office was closed in 1907, and in 1946 Toomey had a store and thirty residents. By 1988 it no longer existed as a named community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "TOOMEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt30), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.