TRAVIS PEAK, TX
TRAVIS PEAK, TEXAS. Travis Peak is a rural community on Farm Road 1431 twenty-four miles northwest of Austin in northwestern Travis County. It takes its name from an elevation two miles to the north of the townsite. The community was established in the 1850s by Herman Hensel, who became postmaster when a post office opened there in 1876. By the mid-1880s Travis Peak had two churches, a district school, a stream gristmill and cotton gin, and fifty residents; cotton was the principal crop raised for shipment. The post office was discontinued in 1907, and mail for the community was sent to Liberty Hill; the office reopened in 1915 and operated until 1934, at which time local mail was routed through Marble Falls. The Travis Peak schools were consolidated with the Marble Falls Independent School District in Burnet County in 1952. From the 1930s to the 1960s Travis Peak reported a population of twenty. Though Travis Peak was still shown on county highway maps in 2000, no population estimates were available.
Mary Starr Barkley, History of Travis County and Austin, 1839–1899 (Waco: Texian Press, 1963). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "TRAVIS PEAK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt32), accessed September 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.