TIGERVILLE, TEXAS. Tigerville is on Farm Road 3277 eighty-five miles north of Houston in northwestern Polk County. James and Jerusha Andress, former residents of Alabama, settled in the area in 1845. The farming community that subsequently grew up there was known as Andressville, after the early family. Just to the south was another community, known as Tigerville. Although the two communities had separate schools, many settlers viewed them as the same place. Stores, gins, and gristmills attracted the business of local farmers. The little agricultural center's Trinity River bottomlands were inundated when the river was dammed in 1968 to form Lake Livingston to the south.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "TIGERVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt37), accessed September 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.