THOMPSON, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
THOMPSON, TEXAS (Smith County). Thompson is at the intersection of Farm roads 346 and 756, just west of Roddy Branch and two miles east of Flint in southern Smith County. The area was settled as early as 1903, when the Thompson School had one teacher and forty-two white students. The school had closed by 1936, and while the 1936 county highway map did not name the settlement, it did show a few farms clustered at its site at the crossing of two dirt roads. By 1952 local children attended classes within the Bullard Independent School District. Thompson had several dwellings in 1973, and it was still shown on the 1985 county highway map. As early as 1936 the Thompson Cemetery was south of the community and just off Farm Road 344; it was still marked on 1981 maps.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "THOMPSON, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt53), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.