TOWLES, TEXAS. Towles, a farming community on Farm Road 1651 six miles south of Canton in south central Van Zandt County, had a post office as early as 1878, and continuously from 1886 to 1891. Thereafter mail was delivered from Grand Saline. The town may have been named for Capt. Thomas Jefferson Towles, legislator and leader in the Van Zandt county-seat war. The Towles community had a Farmers' Alliance organization but was not shown on the 1930s county highway maps and subsequently disappeared.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "TOWLES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt59), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.