TINTOP, TX (MATAGORDA COUNTY)
TINTOP, TEXAS (Matagorda County). Tintop (originally Tin Top) is a tiny country-store community at the intersection of Farm roads 1095 and 521, fourteen miles southwest of Bay City in southwestern Matagorda County. It was named after the roofing material of its buildings. Tin Top, which originally consisted of a cotton gin and a country store, was founded around 1929 to provide services to area farmers after the end of similar services in Simpsonville, a mile to the east, which had been bypassed by the county road. By 1936 Tin Top included a business and a few dwellings, and by 1952 a few occupied dwellings remained there. A 1972 map showed a few new dwellings at the site. A local history reports that in the 1980s the Tintop land was owned by one U. S. McMillan and that the community consisted of a country store and a few houses. At that time the South Texas Project (formerly known as the South Texas Nuclear Project) operated a few miles to the east.
Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., 1986–88).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "TINTOP, TX (MATAGORDA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrt62), accessed March 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.