TOLIVER, TEXAS. Toliver, a farming town two miles northwest of the site of Cushing in northwestern Nacogdoches County, was first settled after the Civil War. A post office was established there in 1888, and by the mid-1890s the community population had reached 200. At its height around 1900 Toliver included a saloon, a Masonic lodge, a school, several churches, and two gins and grist mills. When the Texas and New Orleans Railroad was built through the area in 1901, however, it bypassed the community, and most of its residents and businesses moved to the newly established town of Cushing, on the rail line. The Toliver post office closed in 1904, and within a few years the town had been abandoned.
Nacogdoches County Genealogical Society, Nacogdoches County Families (Dallas: Curtis, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "TOLIVER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrtay), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.