UNION HALL, TX
UNION HALL, TEXAS. Union Hall was on the South San Gabriel River four miles east of Liberty Hill in western Williamson County. The site was first settled in 1846 by Greenleaf Fisk; some five families lived in Union Hall by the time of the Civil War, and at least twelve other families settled in the community between 1866 and 1873. The first school in the community, known as the Mathews school, was a private one established by John G. Mathews in 1873 to serve his children and those of other neighborhood families. A free public school called Union Hall was built in 1874. It had an enrollment of thirty-three students in 1903 and was eventually consolidated with Leander and Liberty Hill in 1949. A new schoolhouse, built in 1890, doubled as a Missionary Baptist church. By the 1970s the town had disappeared from the map, but the schoolhouse was still being used for church services.A historical marker, erected in 1986, honors Union Hall Independent Missionary Baptist Church of Christ, the sole reminder of the former community.
Historical marker files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin (Union Hall Independent Missionary Baptist Church of Christ). Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "UNION HALL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hru06), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.