UNION RIDGE, TX
UNION RIDGE, TEXAS. Union Ridge, a rural community ten miles northeast of Gilmer on Farm Road 1975 in northeastern Upshur County, was first settled sometime after the Civil War. A school was in operation by the turn of the century, and in 1906 it had eighty-four students. In the mid-1930s Union Ridge had three churches, a school, and several stores and houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Gilmer district, but in the mid-1960s the community still had three churches, several stores, a community center, a rodeo arena, and a number of houses. In 1990 Union Grove was a dispersed rural community; the community center and churches were still present. No population estimates are available.
Doyal T. Loyd, A History of Upshur County (Gilmer, Texas: Gilmer Mirror, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "UNION RIDGE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hruqj), accessed December 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.