UPSHAW, TEXAS. Upshaw, a rural community on Farm Road 343 eighteen miles northwest of Nacogdoches in northwestern Nacogdoches County, was settled before 1900. The community was founded as a freedmen's settlement, and was called County Line in the early years. By the mid-1930s the community was called Upshaw and had a school, a church, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the early 1990s two churches, a school, and a cemetery remained. No population estimates are available.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "UPSHAW, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hruwg), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.