VAL VERDE, TX
VAL VERDE, TEXAS. Val Verde is on Farm Road 437 sixteen miles west of Cameron in western Milam County. It was established in 1868 and named for the Civil War battle of Valverde in New Mexico, in which two companies from Milam County participated. James Pittman Whittington donated land for a church and a cemetery at the community. In 1903 Val Verde had a one-teacher school for twenty-six students. The Val Verde school district was consolidated with the Sharp district in 1941, but it withdrew from Sharp in 1961 and divided itself between the Holland and Rogers districts in Bell County. Val Verde had a population of twenty-five in 2000.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage and Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "VAL VERDE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv01), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.