VALLEY VIEW, TX (UPSHUR COUNTY)
VALLEY VIEW, TEXAS (Upshur County). Valley View, off Farm Road 1649 eight miles east of Gilmer in eastern Upshur County, was first settled about 1880. A local school opened before 1895, and in 1897 it had an enrollment of twenty-eight black students. In the mid-1930s the community consisted of a school, a church, a factory, and a number of houses. In the mid-1960s Valley View had a large black high school and several businesses and residences. In 1990 the settlement was a dispersed rural community. The population was seventy-five in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "VALLEY VIEW, TX (UPSHUR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv05), accessed December 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.