VANDALIA, TEXAS. Vandalia is five miles northeast of Clarksville in central Red River County. Its name was suggested by Sam Reed, who became postmaster when a post office opened there in 1902. The population of Vandalia probably reached its highest point in 1910, when it was reported as 100. The post office was closed in 1921, and by 1933 the population had declined to twenty-five. In 1984 Vandalia was a small community of scattered houses. In 2000 the population was thirty-five.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "VANDALIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv09), accessed July 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.