VERONA, TEXAS. Verona is near Pilot Grove Creek eight miles northeast of McKinney in northeast Collin County. Settlement of the area began in the 1870s. The organization of the community began in the fall of 1872 when A. R. Womble built a general store to serve area farmers. Soon thereafter a gristmill, cotton gin, and school were established. A post office opened on September 27, 1876. In November 1901 mail service was discontinued and routed through Farmersville. Verona's population was estimated at seventy-five in 1890 and twenty-five in 1933.
Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "VERONA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv15), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.