VESSEY, TEXAS. Vessey (or Vesey), nine miles northeast of Clarksville in northern Red River County, was settled by members of the Garrett Igo family, who came from Kentucky about 1850. Walter H. Colvert secured a post office in his general store in 1899, and the community had a population of 100 in 1910. Lumber and shingle plants and a gin were in operation before 1915. The post office was discontinued in 1930, and mail was sent to Clarksville. In 1930 and 1940 one business and twenty residents were reported. In 1984 the village consisted of a few widely scattered houses, and in 1990 the population was fourteen. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "VESSEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv16), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.