VOX POPULI, TX
VOX POPULI, TEXAS. Vox Populi was probably on Farm Road 333 twenty miles southeast of Columbus in southern Colorado County. The community was founded in the 1870s as a collection of businesses catering to freed slaves from the local plantations. A post office named Vox Populi, Latin for voice of the people, was opened in 1880. In 1884 the community had a population of thirty, two churches, a steam corn mill, and a cotton gin. By 1890 Vox Populi had an estimated 200 inhabitants. In 1896 the Vox Populi school served three teachers and 121 black pupils, and the community had 400 residents. In 1904 the community had a white school and a black school. The post office was discontinued by the 1930s, and Vox Populi was no longer listed on state maps by 1940.
Colorado County Historical Commission, Colorado County Chronicles from the Beginning to 1923 (2 vols., Austin: Nortex, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "VOX POPULI, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrv23), accessed November 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.