VAUGHAN'S MILL, TX
VAUGHAN'S MILL, TEXAS. Vaughan's Mill was a post office community ten miles from Trinity near the site of present Carlisle in Trinity County. It was named for Moses Vaughan, an early settler who had received much of the surrounding area as a land grant. A post office opened there in 1875, and in the late 1870s the community had a store, a mill, and a church. Its estimated population in 1882 was 100. The post office closed in 1881, and local mail was sent to Trinity. During the 1880s a school operated there, but by 1900 the community had ceased to exist.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "VAUGHAN'S MILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrvjw), accessed October 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.