VIVA, TEXAS. Viva was on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and U.S. Highway 87, seventeen miles northwest of downtown San Antonio in Bexar County. The community was first settled around 1900 as a flag stop on the railroad. By the mid-1930s Viva included a depot, a store, and a number of houses. Local children attended school in nearby Leon Springs. After World War II Viva declined, and by the 1960s only a few scattered dwellings remained in the vicinity.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "VIVA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrvql), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.