WHITE OAK JUNCTION, TX
WHITE OAK JUNCTION, TEXAS. White Oak Junction, also known as White Oak, a farming community in eastern Hopkins County eight miles east of Sulphur Springs on Interstate 30 and U. S. Highway 67, was established at Veal's store on the old Jefferson Road in 1847. A post office was established there the same year under the name White Oak. The White Oak Masonic Lodge was established in 1855, and a school, known as White Oak Academy, was one of the early schools in the county. By 1885 White Oak had a steam gristmill and cotton gin, two churches, a school, and an estimated population of 150. The town began to decline two years later when the St. Louis Southwestern Railway bypassed the town. In 1888 the post office was moved to nearby Weaver, a station on the railroad. The school continued to operate after the turn of the century and in 1905 had an enrollment of fifty. In the 1930s White Oak had the school, a church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Saltillo School District, and by the early 1960s only the church, a cemetery, and a few houses remained. In the late 1980s the town, now known as White Oak Junction, was a dispersed rural community.
Florene Chapman Adams, Hopkins County and Our Heritage. (Sulphur Springs, Texas: 197-?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WHITE OAK JUNCTION, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw21), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.