WHITEWAY, TEXAS. Whiteway (formerly Whitesboro), in southeast Hamilton County, was established to serve the needs of motorists between Jonesboro and Hamilton. The settlement had a school, a church, a cemetery, and scattered farm units in 1936. At one time its population was fourteen; in 1966 four inhabitants were reported. Whiteway was named for Steve White, a local resident, whose sons established and operated the filling station, garage, body shop, and grocery. Whiteway appeared on local maps during the late 1980s, but no population figures were available. By 2000 the population was listed as ten.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.W. W. Standifer, "WHITEWAY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw23), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.