WHITFIELD, TEXAS. Whitfield is in southeastern Swisher County. It began about 1891, when a store and post office opened, and was named for an early settler. A Baptist congregation began meeting that year at the home of J. M. Lovvorn, but it was not formally organized until 1900. At its peak the village had a Baptist and a Methodist church, each with a half-time pastor. The two-room Price school provided formal education for the area's youth. Whitfield went into decline after the post office was discontinued in 1919. After the Price school was consolidated with the Kress school in 1948, the building was turned into a community center. The last official population listing for Whitfield was fifteen in 1947. In 1962 the Baptist church moved to nearby Claytonville. In the mid-1980s only a church and the community center remained.
Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960). Swisher County Historical Commission, Windmilling: 101 Years of Swisher County History (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thelma Hall, "WHITFIELD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw24), accessed December 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.