WOODLAND HILLS, TX
WOODLAND HILLS, TEXAS. Woodland Hills was at a site now on Interstate Highway 635 between State highways 67 and 77, now within the city limits of DeSoto, eleven miles south of Dallas in south central Dallas County. It was incorporated in 1956 as Opportunity, a scattered farming community which hoped to avoid annexation by the surrounding towns and thus keep its own taxes down and preserve the community's rural character. In 1957 it became Woodland Hills, which had a population of 300. The town began to collect taxes in 1964 in order to provide a fire station and a community hall, which was completed in 1967. Woodland Hills continued to grow slowly until it was annexed by DeSoto in 1976, when its population was 366.
Dallas Morning News, November 12, 1964. Dallas Times Herald, June 2, 1967.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew Hayes Nall, "WOODLAND HILLS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw39), accessed September 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.