WILDCAT, TX (WILBARGER COUNTY)
WILDCAT, TEXAS (Wilbarger County). Wildcat is on a local road just north of Wildcat Creek and three miles north of Vernon in north central Wilbarger County. A school was established near the creek in 1889 and became the meeting place for area settlers. In 1911 a Sunday school was started at the school, and a Methodist church was organized in 1915. The school served a sizable district north of the Pease River until it was consolidated with the Vernon schools in 1948. County maps of the 1980s indicated a church and a small community at the site.
Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "WILDCAT, TX (WILBARGER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw41), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.