WORD, TEXAS. Word was ten miles southwest of Center in southwestern Shelby County. A post office was opened in the community in 1892 with Leo Koonce as postmaster. In 1896 the settlement consisted of little more than a general store and a few widely scattered farms. The post office was closed in 1912.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "WORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw51), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.