WESTBROOK, TX (WOOD COUNTY)
WESTBROOK, TEXAS (Wood County). Westbrook was 3½ miles southeast of Winnsboro on what later became Farm Road 852 in northeast Wood County. Established near the older communities of Smyrna and Coldwater, Westbrook was probably named for Samuel Westbrook, who brought his family from Rusk County around 1880 and donated land to found a Methodist church. Though nothing is known of the first church building, the second had two stories, and the second floor was used as a lodge hall. In 1896 Westbrook had a one-teacher school for thirty-six white students, and by 1905 the number of students was fifty-eight. In the mid-1930s Westbrook had a church, a school, and scattered dwellings, but by 1960 the church and school had disappeared, and all that remained at the site were a few scattered dwellings.
W. Cleo Irons, The Reorganization of the Public Schools of Wood County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1935). Wood County, 1850–1900 (Quitman, Texas: Wood County Historical Society, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "WESTBROOK, TX (WOOD COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw61), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.