WARD PRAIRIE, TX
WARD PRAIRIE, TEXAS. Ward Prairie, also known as Lakes Chapel, is a widely scattered community on Farm Road 488 five miles northeast of Fairfield in central Freestone County. Both a Methodist church and a cemetery were established in 1876. The community had a school named Lakes Chapel School, which in 1893 had an enrollment of twenty-three students and in 1903 had an enrollment of twenty-four students. In the 1930s Ward Prairie had a school, a church, two cemeteries, a business, and a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1960s the community had a church, a few cemeteries, and a few dwellings, and in the late 1980s the church and cemeteries still remained.
Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "WARD PRAIRIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw68), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.