WALNUT GROVE, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
WALNUT GROVE, TEXAS (Smith County). Walnut Grove is at the intersection of Farm roads 756 and 344, three miles south of Whitehouse and two miles east of Bullard in southern Smith County. Originally part of the William Luce Survey, it is bordered on the west by West Mud Creek and on the east by Brier Branch. Although the community is not identified on early maps, in 1936 it had a sawmill, a cemetery, a church, and a scattered assortment of dwellings. Children probably attended the nearby Bullard schools. Maps for 1973 show scattered dwellings, Walnut Grove Church, Walnut Grove Cemetery, and Mount Carmel Church located just to the east of the community center. The community was still identified on maps in 1981.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "WALNUT GROVE, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw70), accessed September 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.