WILSON CREEK, TX
WILSON CREEK, TEXAS. Wilson Creek was a rural community in west central Matagorda County near Wilson Creek, just off Farm Road 1095, and ten miles northeast of Palacios. Little is known about the founding of Wilson Creek, which was probably named after the nearby stream. Census figures from August 1870 show a population of 275 people, mainly employed as farmers, butchers, and cattle drivers, living in the vicinity of Wilson's Creek and Tres Palacios. The Wilson Creek school in 1899 and 1904 reported one teacher and twenty-five black students. It was part of Ashby district fifteen by 1937, when its one teacher taught black students in all seven grades. The school may have existed as late as the early 1940s, after which no further information was available. A 1952 map showed a Saint Mary church and a few dwellings in the area, and a local history from the 1980s names a Dossey cemetery in the vicinity. In 1989 a church, a cemetery, and the ruins of a ferry across Wilson Creek remained at the site.
Frank J. Balusek, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Schools of Matagorda County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1939).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "WILSON CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrw77), accessed April 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.